Last week I shared the contents of my travel makeup bag on Instagram Stories (handle ‘bittafab’ – you can check the stories out in my highlights under Makeup) and while I pretty much brought everything but the kitchen sink, I thought it would be helpful to share the makeup that I actual did use and how!
During the day when we were swimming, shopping or just lounging, I kept my makeup pretty simple and minimal:
- Tinted SPF: This was my only base product and although these have limited coverage, they do help to even the complexion a bit. I packed both the Drunk Elephant Umbra Tinte and the Arbonne Soft Focus Veil. Clean sun protection without any harsh white-cast!
- Highlight: I love using MAC Strobe Cream when I am wearing limited makeup. I love the luminescent look this leaves on my skin.
- Cream Blush: By now, I’m sure you all know how obsessed I am with cream blush. I apply a bit on my cheeks, lids (focusing on the crease, usually) and lips. I love how natural and skin-like the finish. Kinda gives off, ‘I woke up like this’ vibes 😉 I used these Rituel de Fille and RMS Beauty ones.
- Eyes: To look awake, I lightly lined my eyes with my favorite Revolution Beauty liner. I wasn’t doing any hardcore swimming, but my face did get wet playing with the kids and this didn’t end up smudge-y. I stuck to my favorite CoverGirl Clump Crusher Water Resistant alone, during the days. This didn’t get smudge-y, either!
- Brows: Just a bit of clear brow gel to tame the brows – I have been enjoying this ABH one lately!
Besides the eyeliner and mascara (which have their own applicators), this was an apply-with-fingers kinda look and honestly, it’s all I had time for. The kids woke up ready to go to the beach, so this was about all I could do in the short time they gave me to put myself together 😛
The nights were fun because, like me, my family enjoys dressing up and taking pictures. After a day spent being active, it was nice to take some time to rest up and get ready for the evening’s festivities. One of the many perks of napping children 😛 I gravitated towards the same type of look every night and I really liked the outcome. Here’s the breakdown:
- Base: I stuck with the tinted SPF and added my tried and true Josie Maran Vibrancy concealer and RMS Beauty setting powder.
- Cheeks: I added a bit of warmth with my MAC bronzer and color with my It Cosmetics Ombre Radiance blush. Corals just scream vacation to me!
- Eyes: Never go anywhere without my favorite Smashbox Eyeshadow Primer on hand. I’ve been sharing my love for the Stila liquid eyeshadow in Tulip Twinkle on Instagram and I was so excited to use it in Cancun. It’s such a beautiful peachy-pink with sparkle. It doesn’t look too over-the-top, but it does have the glam factor I love. I set that off with a cat eye and my OG liner duo: Lancome primer + CG Clump Crusher.
- Brows: I was pretty low key here and stuck to the ABH clear gel!
- Lips: I’m so happy I packed the Arbonne Lip Gloss in Azalea – this was the only lip product I wanted to use! I stuck to the non-shimmery side, which is much more like a liquid lipstick/lipstain than a gloss and I barely ever had to re-apply. I loved how this felt on my lips, not drying or uncomfortable at all. This will definitely be a staple in my handbag from now on!
This is a much better representation of what I used on my travels than the huge amount that I actually packed! I’m hoping this serves as as good reminder for me the next time I travel 🙂
What are your travel makeup must-haves?